- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cans chopped clams with juice
- 5 unpeeled potatoes, diced
- 2 packages Knorr's dry leek soup mix
- 2 carrots, diced (don't substitute - best flavor!)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 bottle clam juice
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 quart milk
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook the bacon in a large pot until crisped. Remove the bacon and leave the drippings in the pot.
2) Stir the veggies into the bacon fat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3) Pour the clam juice over the veggies, and if need be, add enough water to just cover the vegetables.
4) Season. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).
5) Stir the leek soup mix into the soup until there aren't any lumps. Stir in the bacon, clams (with juice) and milk. Simmer until soup thickens, stirring often.
Katie: I typically do not like clam chowder, but still give it a try every once in awhile to see if my taste has changed. This clam chowder was delicious. It wasn't as thick as I've seen or tried, but the flavor was great. I will definitely eat this clam chowder again!
Potter:We got this recipe from my Aunt Lyn and I've been super excited to try it because Katie is always saying she's never had good clam chowder (or maybe she's saying she doesn't like clam chowder but I just hear she's never had good clam chowder). This recipe did not disappoint. It was incredibly hearty and had just great flavor. This recipe does make a lot (probably enough for 4-6) so you may want to cut it in half for two. Last but not least, if you're a fan of baking I highly suggest making some dipping bread or bread bowls to go with this for a joyous experience.