- 1 lb Jimmy Dean or other Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (4 cups)
- 6-10* wheat or rice lasagna noodles
*10 noodles makes a firmer lasagna
1) Brown and drain the meat. Add onion and garlic near the end of browning. Add next 3 items and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Cook noodles according to package directions.
3) Combine next 6 ingredients in bowl.
4) Spray 9 X 13 pan with butter cooking spray (Pam) and line with 3 noodles. Layer half the cottage cheese mixture over noodles, then half of the mozzarella, then half of the meat. Repeat.
5) Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, 45 minutes if assembled early and refrigerated.
6) Let stand 10 minutes to firm up before cutting.
We enjoyed garlic butter asparagus on the side. It was delicious!
Katie: This dish was delicious. The amounts of basil and parsley are spot on. I used 6 noodles tonight. Well...after I originally put 3 noodles on the top of the second layer (so on the top of the dish) - such a ditzy moment (dangit!). Even with that mishap, I enjoyed making this dish for us - I thought it was a lot of fun!
Potter: Tonight I came home from a massage to find dinner made (or nearly made) and it was wonderful (the dinner and the nearly made part). The lasagna was delicious. It fell apart wonderfully and tasted amazing. This was the ideal of a lasagna and the perfect recipe.