- 1 pkg (5 oz) yellow saffron rice
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 poblano pepper or small green bell pepper
- 1 green onion with top
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 Tbsp water
- Prepare rice according to package directions in saucepan.
- As rice cooks, prepare bell peppers. Slice bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove and discard stems and seeds. Microwave, covered, in large micro-cooker on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Carefully remove bell peppers and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, core tomatoes and scoop out seeds. Dice tomatoes, poblano pepper, green onion, half of the cilantro and pressed garlic; cook 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add oil to 10-in. skillet; heat over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add tomatoes, poblano pepper, green onion, half of the cilantro and pressed garlic; cook 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir vegetable mixture into rice in saucepan; add 1/2 cup of the cheese. Place bell peppers cut side up into skillet; spoon rice mixture evenly into each pepper and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Add water to skillet. Cover skillet and heat over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
First, sorry about the slight lack of appeal the picture has; it doesn't do the dish justice, we forgot to take the picture before we started eating.
Katie: These were delicious! We originally had stuffed peppers with our cod dish about a month ago, but wanted to turn it into a main dish. We added chorizo and the result was just as good as expected!
Potter: This recipe was so good as a side we just had to do it again as a main dish. The chorizo added just enough of that extra mmmm that it was perfect. This dish takes some time to prep and make but it is totally worth it. Try it with some sour cream or salsa on top for a little extra.