- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out plp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place shells on baking sheet. Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Cook 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle rest of cheese on top and cook another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Katie: I was excited to try this dish and it did not disappoint. I loved this dish! I enjoyed many of my bites with extra spaghetti sauce we had, which also had more spices in it. I had 2 zucchinis and that was definitely plenty - surprisingly filling!
Potter: This turned out great. Surprisingly flavorful for having no spices. The marinara dipping sauce was excellent on the side. Katie is right it was much more filling than I thought it would be. This is a delicious recipe that is incredibly simple to make.