- 1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper totaste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Merlot wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Potter: We don't own a dutch oven so this was another of our kitchen experiments. Instead of a dutch oven we did the first few steps on the stove then added everything to the crock pot. It turned out tasting great but needed a lot longer in the crock pot to thicken up then I gave it time for (about 2-3 hours on high). Even with those shenanigans this turned out tasting pretty awesome.
Katie: I thought the dish tonight was great. I agree with Potter that it could have used more time in the crock pot to thicken up, but it still tasted delicious.