Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 8 oz. bag Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 6 flour tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying
- guacamole for serving
- queso for serving
- Prepare shredded chicken according to seasoning instructions.
- Meanwhile, in another pan heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add diced veggies. Cook until slightly tender, 3-5 minutes. Add the veggies to the prepared chicken.
- Soften tortillas (can be done in microwave or oven). Add veggie oil to deep pan/pot until it is 1/2 inch deep. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Add a spoonful of the meat/veggie mix to tortilla 1-2 inches from edge, cover in cheese and roll tightly. Hold closed with toothpicks.
- Add rolled chimichangas to hot oil and fry until golden brown (2-3 minutes a side) and flip.
- Remove from oil and set on paper towel to drain excess. Cover with toppings of your choice and enjoy.
We had chips and homemade guacamole as an appetizer with our margaritas. We also had chili chocolate cupcakes for dessert. Yum!
Potter: These turned out amazing! I love me some chimichangas and I never thought I'd make them at home due to the complications of frying. Despite several complications I won't go into (make sure you have an oil thermometer not just a meat one) these turned out wonderfully and were pretty easy to make. I did the chicken in the slow cooker all day with the seasoning so that added a nice little bit to it.
Katie: These were delicious! I was nervous due to the frying as we tend to have some bad luck with that, but this time it went just fine. As Potter stated, the only thing is that we needed a thermometer that registered higher than our current meat one does. The flavor of this dish was amazing and I wouldn't change a thing about the above recipe.